So happy that it’s warming up and I can’t wait to whip out my dresses and skirts now that the weather is nicer.
Last month I started a series sharing my monthly goals (view that post here), so I wanted to give an update on the progress I made in the month of March and also share my goals for April. So…I will say with this being my first time doing something like this I was definitely too ambitious. I think that if you’re trying to develop new habits it’s better to start slow. I expected too much from myself with the goals I set and I should have started with something that more easily attainable as a baseline and then as the months progress I could build from there.
Progress on March Goals:
- 30 Day Ab Challenge: I will say that I stayed consistent with this much longer than I expected. I did get off track one weekend when I was traveling and so I’m a few days behind but I’m determined to stick this out and finish all of the workouts in this challenge. I’ll be posting a recap blog detailing my experience later this week so stay tuned for that. I will say that I was able to get to the gym about 3-5 days a week since the beginning of March so I’m very proud of that accomplishment.
- Driving Lessons: I’ve researched various driving schools near where I live and have narrowed down my options to a class that I think will work great for me since they offer private lessons for adult learners. The next step will be getting my first lesson scheduled and getting on the road!
- E-mail Inbox Management: This goal is a great example of tackling more than I can handle, especially if I want to make this a longer-term habit. I set the goal of tackling 50 e-mails a day and I just couldn’t commit to that. I think starting with something easy like 25 e-mails a day or setting a time limit (for instance, I will tackle my inbox for 5 minutes each day) would have helped form this into a habit. I have started to develop some practices that will help with better managing my blog. For instance, I get e-mails sent to my phone and in the past I have always just ignored the notification and said I’ll get back to it (
and end up forgetting about it later). Now, I’ve been glancing at the message and if I know it requires a response from me I’ll do it right away as opposed to putting it off.
- Engaging With Other Bloggers: I think this is the task I enjoyed the most because it allowed me to explore other blogs/bloggers, network with others, and promote my blog as well. Again, I set the goal of doing this every day which wasn’t realistic since this is something new that I’m trying to develop into a habit and sometimes I’m just too exhausted at the end of the work day to do anything but watch Netflix and fall asleep. However, I was able to engage with at least 2-3 blogs every week whether it was through leaving comments or sharing posts through social media.
Goals for April:
- 30 Day Oil Pulling Challenge: I really like the idea of doing these monthly challenges, similar to what I did for the ab challenge. One thing I’ve wanted to try for a while is oil pulling, which consists of rinsing your mouth with an all-natural oil for 20 minutes. It’s supposed to have various benefits, such as teeth whitening. Stay tuned for a blog post about this soon!
- Driving Lessons: Continuing on my goal from last month, I want to get my first driving lesson completed this month.
- E-mail Inbox Management: I still want to work on better managing my personal e-mail account. I’ll continue to do a better job of glancing at e-mails as they come to my phone and responding right away to those e-mails that require action from me. I’ll also spend 10 minutes a day cleaning/reading through the e-mails that are already sitting in my inbox.
- Engaging With Other Bloggers: I really enjoy engaging with other bloggers and discovering new blogs so I think I’ll try this one again. This time, I’ll aim for engaging with 4 blogs a week in some way, either through leaving a comment or sharing the post on social media.
- Eat Those Fruits and Veggies!: With summer right around the corner I’m becoming more serious about getting my body into shape (and I also just want to develop a healthier lifestyle in general). I’ve heard that weight loss is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise and I can see how true that is. I’ve been putting in more work in the gym but eating whatever I want so I haven’t been able to see the results of all that exercise on my body. Now, I’m not about that diet life because I love sweets too much and I don’t know what I would do without ice cream in my life, but that doesn’t mean I can’t make better decisions about what I’m eating. My goal is to eat a fruit or vegetable with every meal I eat during the week. I’m not including the weekends because my weekend plans are always shifting and I know won’t be able to stay consistent over the weekends but I definitely have more control during the week.
What are your goals this month? What tips do you have for staying consistent with the goals you set? I’d love to read them in the comments below. Check back next month to see what progress I was able to make.
Thanks for reading!