Usually when I’m looking at recipes and thinking about what to cook for meals I ask myself four questions:
Is it quick?
Is it easy?
Will there be enough servings for leftovers (because I’m not out here trying to cook every night
After a full day of being out and about, the last thing I want to be doing is standing over the stove for hours so I try and look for recipes that I can make pretty quickly and also easily because I’m a bit of a klutz.
Lately, I’ve been trying to eat a lot more healthy. I’m not a diet person because I LOVE food, but that doesn’t mean I can’t make smart choices when it comes to food. I know the saying is that losing weight is 90% what you eat and 10% exercise so I’ve been trying to do little things here and there nutrition-wise to help me on my health/fitness journey.
I found a recipe that I am LOVING. It fits all of these criteria (quick, easy, healthy, and can be made in large servings), it’s super delicious, and apparently it’s under 200 calories (without the cheese and avocado toppings).
Prep Time: 10 minutes (includes dicing bell peppers, slicing sausage, opening cans, and draining/rinsing black beans. Keep in mind, I’m the slowest food chopper ever so your prep time might be shorter)
Cook Time: 20 minutes
What you will need:
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, Diced
- 1 Package of Turkey Kielbasa Sausage, Sliced
- 2 Cans of Chicken Broth
- 2 Cans of Black Beans, Drained and Rinsed
- Jar of Salsa
- Shredded Cheese (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
1. Spray a medium-sized pot with non-stick cooking spray and add the turkey sausage to the pot to brown. Then add the diced green bell peppers to the pot with the sausage until the bell peppers are tender.
2. Add your chicken broth and bring the pot to a simmer.
3. Next, add your drained/rinsed black beans to the pot. Finally, add ½ of the jar of salsa (I like a little more kick so I add about 2/3 of the jar).
4. Stir the pot a few times. Cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Serve!
5. Optional step: Pour the soup into your bowls and top it off with shredded cheese and avocado! Delicious!
Let me know if you try this quick and easy recipe and what you think in the comments below! Also, feel free to share any tweaks you might have made.
Thanks for reading!